Providing Competitive Hunting Opportunities to Bird Hunters Nationwide
The North American Gun Dog Association (NAGDA) provides bird dog owners the opportunity to improve their hunting skills and develop the instinctive abilities of their four-legged partners. NAGDA welcomes hunters from all walks of life and encourages participation by men and women of all ages and dogs of all skill levels. A total of nine divisions allow hunters to compete at a level suited to both themselves and their dogs, and encourages youth participation as a means of educating today's up-and-comers about safe hunting practices in a fun and competitive environment.
Sanctioned NAGDA events are held across the country at affiliated hunt club year-round, with Nationals being held at the beginning of April every year.
The 2018 Nationals Survey and Scores, AND the Board of Directors Ballot can be found on the Current Members page, or by using the button below
The BOD Ballot will be removed at 8:00MDT on May 15, 2018
Please review the following rule changes, effective immediately:
Dog going on point while retrieving a bird
After shooting a bird, during the retrieve while the dog is on its way back to you with the bird, the dog goes on point again. Call point and approach your dog to get the retrieve. This is the new point of retrieval. Now you must produce a bird on the second point otherwise you will be penalized for a partial retrieve for the first bird and no points for the second bird. If you do produce a bird on the second point and harvest that bird and get the retrieve, you will not be penalized for a partial retrieve. There is to be no communication from anyone if the dog has in fact pointed another bird.
National Championship Doubles Qualifying
Some circumstances prohibit teams from being able to qualify together because of the distance away from each other. Example living in different states. Any Doubles team can be formed to compete at Nationals based upon the following criteria.
1. Dog & Handler as a team must have qualified with another Doubles team for that year’s Nationals. All other qualification criteria apply.
Amateur Division Revision
If you win the Amateur National Championship the Handler & Dog as a team will no longer be able to compete as an amateur team in that same division and must move up to the Open Division. The Board of Directors reserves the right to deem any participant as a tournament hunter and require them to compete in the Open Division.
Senior Dog Division
1. Dog must be a minimum of 10 years old.
2. One of the below items is required for proof of age.
a. Registration Documentation.
b. Letter from your Vet stating dog’s age.
c. Proof the dog has competed in NAGDA for at least 9 years.
3. For this Division only: If the dog is in the NAGDA Gun Dog Hall of Fame or has been nominated for the Hall of Fame, that dog may only run in this Division. Any senior dog competing in this division can not compete in any other division.
4. Flushers & Pointers will run in the same Division under Flushing rules.
5. A dog can only make 1 run in this Division per Nationals.
6. Qualifying for the National Championship, a Hunter and Dog must compete at two events in the Senior Dog Division, placing 1st – 3rd at one of those events or attend 4 NAGDA events in one year.
7. Any dog that meets the criteria for the Senior Division and was a Top 5 finalist in any Division at the previous Nationals will automatically be invited to compete at Nationals the following year regardless of who the handler is. They must compete in at least two events prior to Nationals.
8. Each run will be 4 birds 20 minutes, but the field size will be smaller whenever possible.
9. At Nationals this Division will be 1 run & done. The high score will be declared the National Champion. Standard tie-breaking protocols will apply.
10. National awards will be based on number of entries. Example:
10 entrants = 5 award placements, 5 entrants = 2 award placements
11. Entry fee will be reduced because of only 1 run.
12. This Division counts towards the 6-run maximum per handler at Nationals.
September 2017: New division added, NAGDA Rules revised
08/11/2017: Events Calendar: 2017-2018 event dates added, PDF download now available
Kennels page temporarily removed
BOD information updated